Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Way I See It...


I was reading the side of my Starbucks coffee cup yesterday morning and I thought I would post the blurb here. I thought it was a very true observation and interesting quote...

The Way I See It #267

"Music can lift us out of depression or move us to tears - it is a remedy, a tonic, orange juice for the ear. But for many of my neurological patients, music is even more...it can provide access, even when no medication can, to movement, to speech, to life. For them, music is not a luxury, but a necessity."

~Oliver Sacks (neurologist and author of, "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" and "Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain")


This quote reminds me of how much I think we all as humans enjoy music in some form or fashion throughout our lives. It's like a way of communicating to our souls. I have read some passages before in some Christian inspirational books (can't remember titles or authors at this moment) about the idea of music and singing being a predominant form of communication, praise and honor in God's Heavenly kingdom some day. I do not know what being in God's presence will ultimately be like one day, but it is interesting to think about how if we are made in God's image, then there must be a reason we, as humans, are very respondent to music. The Bible talks about us singing songs of praises to our Lord, now and in Heaven. So, God must have created the idea of music and the innate desire for our souls to "sing a song" as part of our reflection of Him! What is it exactly about music that we are all drawn to? The words, the melodies and sounds, the feelings that music evokes in us when listening to it, the memories that are time-stamped for us in our minds by a particular song, etc? Hmmmm.....just something to think about...:o)

No comments: