Monday, May 05, 2008

In honor of Nanny...July 28, 1924- April 22, 2008






These pictures are of my grandmother, Nancy Anne Jordan Small Eshenaur. Yes, her maiden name was Jordan. She married my grandfather, Christopher Small. They had two daughters...my mother was the youngest. They later divorced and eventually Nanny remarried and her new last name became Eshenaur.

Wasn't she a "dish" back in the day? LOL!!!! I think she was pretty! As you can see, she was just a hair taller than my grandfather, Christopher. The youngest little girl in the photos above is my mother, Carolyn. Her older sister is my Aunt Jody. They were both born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Since this blog page only lets you post 5 pictures in one entry, I have included 5 other photos in the post directly beneath this one. I tried to keep things in chronological order, so the most recent pictures of my Nanny are below.

Here are some brief facts about my grandmother which you may not know...

1) She was an only child.
2) She graduated from medical school at Temple University in Pennsylvania. Yes, that's right...medical school!
3) Nanny became one of the first female physicians to practice in the Orlando area many years ago!
4) Nanny used to be the student health physician at Rollins College and ran the entire practice herself in their Student Health Center on campus for 12 years!
5) My Nanny was an accomplished floutist. She earned a full scholarship to college by playing the flute! Oh, how she just loved music her entire life!!
6) Nanny was the person who faithfully taught me how to play the flute so that I could be in the band in Junior High School. She came to my house once a week for a few years to teach me everything I know about playing the flute! She was my private music teacher.
7) Nanny was probably one of the few elderly citizens who kept up with the times by owning and using her own Mac computer. She read and sent emails everyday and played games, as well as kept current with the times by writing frequently on her computer, thanks to my husband, Scott, who got her up and running in her late 70's. He taught her from the beginning how to use a computer and since that time, she never stopped using it daily! How many other women in their 80's can say that?
8) Nanny had a companion cockatiel [bird] named "Popeye" for 19 years after her late husband, Bob, passed away in 1981. After Popeye died, we found her another cockatiel bird who looked exactly the same. She named him, "Jimmy". You can see Jimmy sitting on Nanny's shoulders in the last picture below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She was a looker, wasn't she? :) What a neat woman. Thanks for sharing her life with us.