Monday, August 18, 2008

Confessions of a Kindergarten Mom...Third Time Around



Well, this morning marks another milestone in our household. My youngest child started her first day of kindergarten. I'm sitting here at home not quite knowing what to do with myself. Usually, when my older two kids were off at school, I at least had Amanda home with me to keep me company. Except for the few days she would attend Pre-K herself. Now, all three of my little ones have stepped up to the big school, which means only one drop off and pick-up location for me this year! That's great news...but, on the other hand, I'm feeling a little blue today about the whole thing. This morning started out fine. I got myself up early enough to fix everyone some pancakes before getting ready for school. All backpacks, school supplies, and lunchboxes were ready to go. Then, as the kids were happily eating their pancakes, Chandler accidentally spilled orange juice all over Amanda's pretty skirt, which was freshly washed just for the occasion of her first day at school. The tears streaming down Amanda's face when she realized that the orange juice was more than just a mere spot on her skirt, but rather almost the entire side of it, just made my heart sink. She is such a girly-girl and loves to wear her skirts and jewelry, and even a touch of lipstick. I rinsed the skirt out and promptly put it into the dryer, hoping there would be enough time for it to dry before we had to head off to school. I think my little girl was braver and more prepared for the day mentally than myself. I offered to let her wait for her skirt to dry and hoped she would feel encouraged knowing that she could still wear her lovely outfit to school. But, she boldly yet calmly replied, "No. I will wear a different skirt." No more tears, no pouting, no look of dismay on her little angelic face. She was just ready to move on with her day! I am delighted that she didn't let a little mishap spoil her mindset for her big day. But, in my heart, I had just wanted everything to run smoothly this morning with no hiccups. I was secretly sad inside a little bit knowing that the substitute outfit she picked out wasn't what I had wanted for her to wear on her first day.

We made it off to school and as I corraled all three of them after getting out of the car at the school parking lot, hoping to take a picture of the three of them on this big day, I couldn't ignore that frown on my oldest daughter's face. You know, that rolling of the eyes kind of look where you're 9-year-old is already showing her independence by not wanting to be seen taking pictures with her younger siblings right outside the front of the school for all her schoolmates and their parents to see. That's when my heart sunk a little bit lower today. I know it may be kid stuff and somewhat normal, but it serves as another reminder that all my kiddies are indeed growing up. Thankfully, Amanda was all too happy and proud to pose and smile for the occasion. Little Chandler in the middle just rolls along with the agenda not making waves about anything. We stopped off at Amanda's class first and all was well. Then, it was upstairs to Chandler's 2nd grade classroom. We waited for a few minutes outside the class in the hallway, as the teacher was not letting the students in yet. All the while, big sister Sierra reminding me we needed to go to her classroom, too. This is too much for one mom to conquer alone. Delivering three kids to three different classrooms on two separate floors of the school within a 15-minute window of time. So, I kissed Chandler goodbye and followed Sierra off to her class. She strutted right in along with her new classmates and barely looked at me as I reminded her that her papers I had filled out for her teacher were in her backpack. Such a big 4th grader now doesn't need to be reminded of such things, I suppose. At least, that's what she wants me to believe. As I saw that my presence was no longer needed, I felt a little more sad. So, what does this mom decide to do next? Why, it was off to Chandler's classroom once again! He was still sitting in the hallway with his peers when I approached. Why wasn't their teacher letting them into the room yet? After all, the bell was going to ring in the next 5 minutes. Finally, the classroom door opened and I was able to help Chandler get settled.


Then, off to the "Boo Hoo" Breakfast for parents of kindergarteners. Though I did not cry, my soul inside was still a little sad just knowing that this was it. The last time I would send a kindergartener off to their very first day of school. I wish I could say that since this is the third time I have sent a kindergartener off to school on their first day, that it gets easier. But, honestly, it doesn't get any easier. If anything, it is more difficult because this is my last baby out of the nest. Now, for the finale of today's events, I have found out since picking the kids up from school that Orange County Public Schools will be closed for the day tomorrow due to the impending tropical storm. In a way, that's actually good news for this mom! It means I get an extra day of "summer" with my three kiddos before sending them back to school. Thank goodness for small blessings that come in disguises...LOL!!

No comments: