Thursday, March 29, 2007

For all the unbelievers out there...LOL


OK, I am going to try to pick up where I left off during a previous post I had earlier this month. I mentioned that I would write more on the topic of myspace later. So, here goes...how did this all get started? Well, basically I was really bored one day back in January. I decided to surf google for any websites about some celebs I am interested in for fun. I landed on an official webpage for Vanessa Minnillo. From there, she had a direct link to her new myspace page. Since I already had a myspace page that I had created last year, it was easy for me to log on. When I went to her page, I saw a comment from Ashlee Simpson congratulating her for her new line. I figured it must have something to do with clothing and I later found out she had just been signed as the new Bongo jeans girl. Anyway, I was curious as to why Ashlee Simpson would be talking to Vanessa? I thought, isn't that somewhat of a conflict of interest since Ashlee's sister, Jessica, is the ex-wife of Nick Lachey, Vanessa's boyfriend? I did some searching and came across what I believed to be a real myspace fan page for Jessica Simpson. By all accounts, it sure seemed like it was the REAL Jessica. It turns out I was right. There are many, many myspace pages for all kinds of celebrities who end up being what are known as "poser" sites, or run by people who are pretending to be someone famous. But, everything from the personal photos to the comments and blog postings, to the music clearly indicated to me this was the real Jess Simpson page. The best part of it was that it was run by Jessica herself, and not someone working for her! She had a few hundred fans. Right about the same time I became her "friend" on myspace, I noticed that she had added Nick Lachey as a friend. It turns out that this was his very first time ever creating a page on myspace before and since he and Jess are now talking to each other, despite their divorce last year, they became myspace "friends". As I visited his brand new page, again, personal photos, bio info, and most importantly, messages and comments left by him, clearly indicated this was not some hoax. I couldn't believe my luck! I mean, what are the chances that I would actually happen to find both of their real fan sites the very same week I happened to be surfing myspace? What really kept me intrigued was that both of them were each updating their pages on their own, without any outside help! They would post comments and old photos of each other on their pages. It became very obvious to myself and the other fans watching that this was NO JOKE! They really were communicating to each other and to their fans directly through this myspace thing. In fact, Nick even ended up getting his brother, Drew Lachey, and Drew's wife, Lea, to create their own myspace pages...something neither of them had ever done before. It was fun being on each of their friends lists and actually being able to communicate with all of them at various times. But, within one to two weeks, of course, there was a frenzy of fans who were just as excited as I was that these were the real Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey on their pages. Rumors began swarming and Nick had to completely shut down his page. He claimed he was getting rude messages and was fed up with the "posers". Not long after, Jessica did the same thing. It was disappointing, but I was grateful that Jessica gave me her new page URL on myspace and invited me to be her "friend" on her newest page. The intent was to only open up the new pages to a few friends and not the hundreds who had been on their original pages. This worked for a little while. But, by this time, it was evident to everyone that Nick was still in love with Jessica. They were reminiscing publicly on myspace about old times. For someone like myself, who never liked the idea of them splitting in the first place, it was mighty exciting to watch from an outsider's viewpoint!

Several weeks later, they both had to shut down their pages for a second time due to the relentless rude messages from some people. Nick and Jess have their opinions as to who was initiating a majority of the trouble behind the scenes. Without going into any private details, I will just say that this was how it all started...my communicating on myspace, with Jess and Nick. They actually do respond to e-mails when they have some down time to their fans. It's been fun getting a chance to talk to a celeb that I have always enjoyed watching in the news on this myspace thing! I know that I would never get the chance otherwise...and certainly, it beats sending fan mail the old-fashioned way, where you know no one will ever actually read it. I asked Nick last night on myspace for his permission to post the picture you see on my page now of the two of them. He was kind enough to allow me to post it and thanked me for asking him first. It is just one of many personal photos belonging to Nick that he has enjoyed placing on his own myspace page for the fans to see. I have some LIFE group friends who have recently heckled me about whether or not I have been e-mailing occasionally with THE real Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey. The only other proof I have is some copies of original e-mails from both, but I don't want to risk unintentionally violating some kind of privacy law or something. So, I don't think I will post them here. I also don't want to risk upsetting either of them in any way. If you are really curious or in doubt, ask me some time and I will share with you. Believe it or not, Jess and Nick really do get mad and even hurt when people try to pose as them on myspace. They've even resorted to compiling a list of all the poser sites they can find so that their true fans will know that they are real and not the posers!

For now, at least enjoy the personal photo I have posted that is one of Nick's favorites. Since you probably also have some questions at this point, I will attempt to address just a few based on what I have learned in my experience so far on myspace...

***************
FAQs-

1. I thought Jessica has been seen dating John Mayer in recent months. What's up with that?

~As far as I know, that is true. One thing I quickly learned as a true fan on myspace is that you still need to be respectful of a celebrity's private life. Even if a celeb actually takes the time to respond to your e-mail, keep in mind that most celebs still want to maintain a great deal of privacy about their personal lives. A true fan is going to respect that privacy and not push for details that might be considered "crossing the line", especially when it comes to relationships. If a celeb wants to share info with their fans [on myspace], usually they will do so by what's known as sending out a bulletin to all their fans. Or, sometimes they may only share with a few people they trust.

2. Why the interest in Jessica and Nick?

~I don't normally get too interested in celebrity couples and their relationships. Jessica and Nick happen to be the exception in my case. I don't know why I always enjoyed watching their reality show back when it first aired. I guess in some ways, it seemed like somewhat of a fairy tale relationship, if you can even call it that. It was fun to watch them as newlyweds and the chemistry and fun they seemed to have...mixed in with some of your typical newly-married conflicts.

3. Are Nick and Jess back together?

~I honestly can't answer that. At one point, it seemed things might be headed in that direction. But, as I have said in one other blog comment I posted on a few days ago, it's been like watching a live soap opera between the two of them over the past two months. The drama has become too much for me to keep up with at this point. The same goes for Nick's relationship with Vanessa Minnillo. I can not comment on that either. Only Nick and Vanessa know the current status of their relationship. If I told you that they broke up last week, things could totally change by this week. It's impossible to keep up with such Hollywood drama. I also have to remember that I have a life outside of myspace. I will only know the status of their relationship based on what I read and hear from the same sources as you at this point.

4. Do you talk to either of them on the phone?

~No. I have only exchanged a few emails and comments on their myspace pages. As I said earlier, a true fan is not going to invade a celebrity's privacy by asking for such things. Also, let it be known that both of them have asked that the fans refrain from asking for things such as concert tickets, autographs, etc. As Jessica once put it on her blog, "If I do it for one person, then I have to do it for everybody and that wouldn't be fair".


Well, that's enough about the whole myspace adventure. It's sure been an exciting ride!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool, Becky. Just for your peace of mind...I believe you. :) I think it would be fun to chat with a celebrity sometime. It's a different life and would be interesting to catch an inside glimpse...without being a raving, lunatic fan. :)

Becky Williams said...

Thanks for believing me! I know it sounds far-fetched, but I honestly wouldn't have said anything about it if I really thought it might not be true. That would be embarrasing if it was fake. But, I can just tell by their pictures and what they say to their fans that it's really them. Plus, Jessica now has a trademark symbol next to her name to distinguish her page from any fake ones. Like I said before, I met another fan on Jessica's page that happens to be somewhat of an "insider". Nick & Jess really trust this person and they always seem to share personal info with this person. Sometimes, she secretly shares with me what's going on and that's the part that keeps me most interested. It's almost unbelievable what goes on behind closed doors that the public doesn't know about. Anyway, now Nick has closed his page and there are only about 20 people or so that are on it as his myspace "friends". I am not on that list anymore. I think it's pretty much his family and close personal friends only at this point. Apparently, too many people have tried to hack into his account and he can't trust anyone now. It's a shame, but it's been fun while it lasted. I still share emails with Jess, though. She is very kind to the fans she trusts. :o)